Saturday 26 May 2012

Food & Liquor 2: 5 Things I Want to See

So Lupe Fiasco is releasing a new album. Even better, it's a sequel to one of my all time favourite albums, 2006's Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor. Here are a few things I want to see on Food & Liquor 2. The new album's first single 'Around My Way (Freedom Ain't Free) is above.

1. More storytelling
One thing I missed on Lasers that I loved on Food & Liquor was the storytelling. 'He Say She Say' 'Kick, Push' and 'Cool' are all examples of how Lupe can tell a great story that keeps you hooked up until the last line. I'd love to see that return on the sequel.

2. An album cover that doesn't look like an 80's throwback made in 10 minutes on Piknik

If I hadn't already been hooked after hearing 'Kick, Push', Food & Liquor's artwork would have put me off straight away. Seriously, if you don't belive me then Google it. It's a picture of Lupe standing in space surrounded by household objects. It's like the noughties went into space and threw up a rapper.

3. Some lighter topics

I appreciate that Lasers became what it was because Lupe was fed up of Atlantic Records shaping his whole album and making him change his style, but the whole album was a bit of a drag at times. I also liked his political raps, but I can only take so many before they get a bit tedious. Some more tracks like 'I Gotcha' would be great.

4. As little Atlantic Records involvement as humanly possible

They killed Lasers. Can you imagine if it had been as good as Food & Liquor and The Cool? It would have been insane! But instead, we got pop instrumentals clearly meant for love songs while Lupe tried to send out a serious message over a sea of droning techno noise. Then again, if it had been good it wouldn't have gone to No.1.

5. More Sarah Green

If you don't know who she is, she has sung quite a few hooks over the course of Lupe's previous 3 albums. Her voice is incredible - she really added something to 'Intruder Alert', 'He Say She Say' and others. Hopefully there's a spot for her on Food & Liquor 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment